Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Moooooo



Warning: this first part my cause unnecessary stress but I have a solution to the problem so keep reading. Here is the scenario, you are out of milk, hubby is gone, not worth getting a sitter and you have a few darling little tag alongs. A trip to the store isn't just a quick errand when you have your children come along. I would consider this normal, you go leave which means the kids are screaming because they want the milk, shoes to find, shoes to put on, buggers to wipe, shoes to put back on, you go to buckle them in but the strap is twisted, untwist, catch the other, and so the story goes, we haven't gotten to the store yet. Now breath.
Any how back to the milk, here is a way to lessen those trips to the store, save money and a more healthy solution, use instant dry milk when you are COOKING. I wouldn't suggest having a big glass of instant milk with a cookie, yuck but do subsitute it for the real deal when making something that calls for milk. You wont notice I promise. Your "real" milk will last longer and you always have instant milke on hand, it last at least a year. Another idea but a bit more expensive is to buy vanilla soy milk. You keep it in your fridge and it last several months. I use Vanilla Soy Milk when I cook sweet things that require milk. For instance french toast, pancakes etc. It gives it a nice flavor. Here is a favorite recipe I use to cook pancakes, it works with regular milk, dry milk, and soy:



Blueberry Pancakes:
1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup of Vanilla Soy milk (I add in a Tablespoon of lemon juice and let it sit to make butter milk)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 egg
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
I drop some frozen blueberries while they are on the griddle. It is so yummy and healthy.
I guess I have learned there is no reason for pancake mix. It is way to easy, cheap, and healthy to make your own. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment