Sunday, August 23, 2009

Baby Talk, How to help your toddler talk early


I was talking to my sister the other day about my son being able to talk early. I would like to take all the credit but honestly I think it is his personality along with me working with him (he is very determind). Something I think helped a bit is starting around his first birthday when he wanted something I would have him say it. He would be frustrated at times but I really think it helped. An example would be if I had his sippy cup in my hand and he was grunting and pointing I would have him say the word "sippy". In the beginning it didn't sound ANYTHING like the word I was looking for but eventually he got it right. As long as he made the effort he would get what he was asking for. As he got older, around 18 months I started pointing out the color with EVERYTHING. "Here is your yellow candy!" for example. He knew all of his colors with in a few months. Also while we were coloring, driving etc I would always sing the ABC's. Even if I didn't think he was listening. Then one day while he was playing, right before his 2nd birthday, he blurted out the whole song. I thought he never listened but apparently he was. Maybe it was the little things I did along away, maybe it was him... We will see how it works with the second. The first kid is always a genie pig.

1 comment:

  1. He really is so advanced. Great tips! I will put those suggestions to good use.

    ReplyDelete